Riverdale Baptist Church

Our Story

The roots of Riverdale Baptist Church reach as far back as 1955. The Baptist Union of Western Canada (BUWC) sent Rev. T. Elgar Roberts to Whitehorse to check out a fellowship formed by several Convention Baptist and Mennonite families. 

However, it wasn't until 1963 that a group of 15 residents, including Loverna Armstrong and Ursula Heynen (who are still active in the church today), discussed the potential of starting a Baptist church in Riverdale and formally uniting with the BUWC.

Although the group was already meeting weekly for fellowship, Riverdale Baptist Church had its first formal worship service in 1964. Pastor Duncan Ritchie, an 80 year-old retired minister, arrived to lead the congregation in the Selkirk Street School gym.

Riverdale Baptist Church moved into its own building on the corner of Tutshi and Teslin roads in 1968. By the 1980s the church was too small to accommodate the growing congregation. The church on 15 Duke Road was completed in 1990 and has been our home ever since.   

 

History buffs, click here for the full story.